Translate

Friday 25 October 2013

Back to Normal




There must have been at least eight of them banded together there, their shrill battle chants pounding through the open air as they prepared to charge at me.

I looked up, squinting against the sun, and braced myself for the onslaught. The chanting drew nearer. It sounded suspiciously like my name. Suddenly I found myself being rammed into by a half-dozen little preschoolers excited for a group hug. I had come back to the Baby House after my "sick-leave" absence!


Crossing the roads here reminds me distinctly
of a certain old video game involving a frog.
Which is why it's a good idea to cross with a
Ugandan who knows what they're doing.  
Having finally recovered from the repercussions of the weekend's adventure (so to speak), these past couple of days have been for sliding back into action for Baby House work and Bible School activities. Besides helping again with the PK class today, I also enjoyed a particularly nice batch of posho and beans at the school--the first I've had there in over a week! It was good to be back.

















Right afterwards, Alyssa and I walked with Edith, a third-year student, down the hill, across the street, and up and down a series of roadways to Quality Shopping Village. There, we stocked up on snack supplies at the grocery store before sitting down at a café/coffee shop area to rest our feet. Between the three of us we ordered ice cream, ''Afergado's" (ice cream poured over with espresso) and (my selection), a "queen cake"--a sort of pastry resembling a muffin. Edith is an awesome tour guide--tomorrow we're planning a Saturday trip to the "beach" at Lake Victoria with her and possibly the two new room mates who are supposed to be arriving tonight.


As an update to the request for prayer about our visas, I'm happy to report that it's all working out just fine. Apparently the rules have changed about needing to pay to extend a visa, so there's nothing to worry about anymore. Alyssa had to pay about 24$ because hers was only a few days from expiring, but the rest of us should (should) get away for free. I'll let you know if anything changes. So THANK YOU for your prayers over the past few days. I know I say that a lot, but they're all very much appreciated and they're all being answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment