Translate

Friday 1 November 2013

Enjoyment in Ordinary Life

This Morning's Sunrise
You can practically set your watch by the light's activity in the equatorial sky, from 6:00 AM at the crack of dawn to 6:15, when the colours of the sunrise are at their most intense point, until 6:30 when the actual sun begins to climb over the horizon.

Fun at the Baby House
 "No really, it's actually pretty good," I insisted, grinning as persuasively as I could at the two mildly unconvinced faces before me. The faces belonged to the lovely new roommates (they're even fellow homeschoolers to boot!) who came to bunk with Alyssa and me a few days ago. We've been having a blast so far, sharing with them all the wonders of life in Uganda from teaching at the baby house to eating posho at the school. And that's where the convincing came in...

Alyssa and the two girls, Isabella and Ariel, ended up splitting a heaped plate of posho and beans three ways. Yet curiously, I had completely finished mine before the three of them had put a dent in theirs! Then somehow more suddenly appeared on my plate while I wasn't looking. Suspicious. I don't know when I started to like posho and beans this much, but it's surprising how one's tastes can change in another country.




First Impressions of Posho!
In the afternoon, after sitting in on the Bible School modular class taught by the girls' dad, a group of us took off on a hike to Quality Shopping Plaza.

We ended up compiling quite a trekking team, between Isabella and Ariel, me, the Albertan students - Alyssa and Jordan, and two Ugandan students.

During our brief poke around the grocery store I picked up some sugarcane and jackfruit (here's the Wikipedia link if you're curious as to what it is), and then the girls among us went down to the café.


Walking Scenes
But as fun as all of this has been, some of the greatest moments the four of us roomies have had have been during the prayer sessions we've started in the dorm at night. I'm learning that you don't have to be an older person sitting in a circle above a church carpet somewhere to enjoy being part of a prayer group.








You can be one of a few kids sitting a dorm floor in Africa and experience the joy of coming together as one group in agreement before God. And I do mean joy! I'm getting to see God work in people's lives like I've never seen before. We're at that age when we're able to watch God's plan for each others' lives take shape, and witnessing that is a privilege like I've never known before.

--It even beats the privilege of eating posho together.

No comments:

Post a Comment