Translate

Thursday 1 August 2013

Gulping a Tree


Adventures of the Early Spring

This April landed me in a couple of novel scenarios, such as drinking water directly out of a tree. Where? At a maple farm in Southern Ontario, right during the two-or-so week window of time when the sap runs.  A network of blue tubes runs between trees, collecting the sap and bringing it downhill to be processed. Oddly, the raw sap contains a sandy substance that must be filtered out before the sap is evaporated into syrup. Ever eaten maple sand? I don’t recommend it. It has a gritty taste that is either so bitter it’s sweet or so sweet it’s bitter—I couldn’t quite tell which, but it haunts me to this day!

If tasting tree-sand wasn’t unique enough, we also had the chance to drink the raw sap. Our host dipped a cup into an old-fashioned tin bucket hanging from a nearby tree and handed it to Yours Truly with a sweet smile. While I'm glad to say I downed it, I can't describe how weird it felt to drink straight from a tree--just a normal, wood-and-bark tree--while LOOKING at the tree. The sap looked and felt like water, but carried a ubiquitous "sweet" tinge to the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment