Translate

Tuesday 13 August 2013

In Toledo: What Dad Calls 'Adventure'

Friday, Day 10

Written from McDonalds in Orillia, Ontario
8:55 PM Eastern Time

 I just made my dad's elbow bleed, but I really didn't mean to. We pulled over here so that he could nap after our looong day on the road, but when I went back to the van to get this laptop he jumped awake and sustained minor injuries. Sorry, Dad.

The Golden Arches are once again maple leaf-studded
 
But now that I have my laptop, I should probably get talking about what happened today...


We had just stocked up at a Walmart near Toledo, Ohio, when Dad noticed that our tire had picked up a nail. "We may be here awhile," he announced as our van limped to another Walmart for repairs, "but this is what we call adventure. In Toledo." Fortunately, we were back on the road within one Subway lunch.

Cultural note:
You can glean a lot of information about a culture by what its stores sell. For example, you wouldn't believe how heavily duck hunting shows, of all things, are merchandised here. I mean, T-shirts are one thing, but accent rugs? Is it like that in Canada too and I just haven't picked up on it yet?




Before long we crossed into Michigan, and the Canadian border came into view during the dramatic crossing of the Ambassador bridge. On the left shoulder of the sky-blue river stood downtown Detroit. On the right, Canada, as seen through the green bridge railings.
















Welcome to Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment