Translate

Sunday 22 September 2013

Into Africa


Upon stepping off the plane last night, the first thing that hit me was the air. It's wet. The next thing I noticed was an exotic-looking tree, giving it a double-take because it wasn't a poplar. Then as we drove in the dark to home base on the outskirts of Kampala, I noticed the roads. We were driving on the left!


When we finally pulled into the guesthouse, I greeted my new roommate, a Bible College student from Alberta named Alyssa. I was also greeted by a power-out, which is apparently a frequent occurrence here. Missionaries often come home talking about taking things for granted, like tap water and light switches. Now, I believe them! Trying to get organized in new surroundings by a Coleman Lantern gets to be a little difficult after a while, so I feel spoiled now that the light switches are working again. As to water, we get to drink out of a Biosand filter--the kind that you can donate to families overseas through organizations like Samaritan's Purse.

This red mound happens to belong to a civilization of termites. This is the smaller of two mounds along the red dirt road which winds up toward the guesthouse, which is the building in the top of the picture. The last time I walked by this scene, a goat and two oxen were in it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment